Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2021
Like they said in chat, the move type doesn't matter, the pokemon type does
Marshtomp is part ground, ground won't hit flying Starly

1616865181258.png

KingXaos

Mar 20, 2021
Marshtomp is water-ground, and since starly is normal flying, ground “matches” up with flying, making starly immune to marshtomps attacks
whereas, tailow is just flying, so water matches up with flying, making tailow take normal damage from marshtomp

KingXaos

Mar 20, 2021
You would have to check in game. I assume tailow is flying normal then? Because I know that my chandelure hit it before

iPlayMaker

Moderator/Future is an imagination
Jan 21, 2020
I can give you an insight on how battling works.

Typings matchup
1. Rather than what type of move you are using, the effectiveness is solely considering the type of pokemon. [ Move Type is only considered in calculation of STAB - Same Type Attack Bonus]

Eg:Pokemon battle example
Pokemon A - Type 1 - Normal , Type 2 - Flying
Pokemon B - Type 1 - Ground , Type 2 - Electric

The main point to be noted is in the below illustration :

1616996073099.png

1616996235523.png

2. While using AOE- Area Of Effect Moves [Rockslide, Powered Snow, Earthquake etc..] The first wild pokemon you target is considered to see if they are type immune or not.

1616996581564.png

Here out of 3 pokemon, 2 are normal/flying. and our pokemon (User pokemon) os Normal/Ground. Ground matches up with flying and it will not do damage; Normally.
BUT
The User pokemon targets a Bug/rock type pokemon using AOE - As area of Effect damages an all pokemon in a area, The other two immune pokemon also gets damage.
Furthermore, The damage of AOE is calculated depending on the first target. there fore, even if the second and third pokemon are lvl 100, and the first target is just level 5 - The Huge damage from our pokemon (level 50) Wil be considered for the level 100s in that area too.

Jul 26, 2022
USA
I have a wrench to throw into the mix. Got a litwick using heat wave, so according to this I can't damage any normal types, lame but mechanic understood, now if I throw out an onix and use tackle that wont do any damage for some reason. He is ground as well however he is not using an AOE. Rock throw also wont work but not sure if that's an AOE here or not. I then throw out a water type and it can kill the normal flying type. So is it really any pokemon that has a negative type (ground vs flying) can't even damage them with a damaging move? As will o wisp did burn the bird.

Mike

Redcap
Staff member
Nov 19, 2018
Null Island
picturesofwalls.com
additional effects of moves such as burn can still be caused even if the target pokémon is immune to damage caused by the attacker. it matters not whether the move is AoE or not.
AoE moves still initially target a single foe, and cause the red radius around that foe; all other pokémon caught in the blast will be subjected to the same weak/resist/immune damage calculation as the initial target, their own types and stats being ignored.

Got a litwick using heat wave, so according to this I can't damage any normal types (...) if I throw out an onix and use tackle that wont do any damage for some reason
litwick cannot directly damage any pokémon with normal as their first type. most birds are normal/flying. onix is rock/ground, so cannot directly damage any pokémon with flying as their second type. litwick and onix would be unable to deal direct damage to the same birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom