EV Training Guide

Was this guide helpful? Did I include all the details you wanted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glitch2005

🦦
Staff member
Jan 30, 2020
PLEASE LOG IN TO FORUMS WITH YOUR IN-GAME USERNAME AND PASSWORD TO GET THE FULL ACCESS TO PHOTOS POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

What is EV?
EVs (Effort Values) - This boosts a Pokémon's total stats making it more powerful and durable in many ways which might also fetch you a win in a tourney. An EV trained Pokémon and the same Pokémon, not EV trained have several differences. When testing the both, the EV trained Pokémon will win since it has more stats in all categories (Hp, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed).

Key:
Attack - Atk
Speed - Spd
Special Defense - Sp.Def
Special Attack - Spack
Defence - Def
Hit Points (or) Health Points - HP

These are the key for short terms I am going to use in this guide.

How to go to the EV section of our Pokémon

Crovi choose.png
First, click the icon of your pokemon you want to view the EV for. You can view it in middle for checking the status when training it for EVs also for a quick note on how much more to go.

Ev click.png
After clicking the icon you will be shown with pop up screen of what's shown in the picture. This pop up allows you to view its Stats in-game also. Note: In-Game stats are different from real pokemon stats on websites so don't get confused and the nature of the pokemon doesn't affect the pokemon's stats for the time being in rise.

EV page.png
Finally, you just have to click the EV tab marked in the picture. After that, you can view your pokemon EVs.

How to utilize the EVs to their maximum
To utilize these EVs to the fullest we first have to evolve a Pokémon to its final evolution. Level 100 fully evolved has the maximum utilization of its EVs as the Pokémon is fully evolved to its final stage and is at its maximum level in the game of 100. This game has tournaments and friendly battles most of the time at level 50s since it is easier compared to making the Pokémon level 100. People EV train these Pokémon at level 50, a question might be raised " How can a Pokémon utilize its maximum potential at level 50 with EVS". Yes, it cannot gain its maximum potential but of course EV training your Pokémon will boost their initial stats at that certain level. The important secret to gain the maximum potential with your Pokémon is to EV train your Pokémon in specific slots rather than randomly trained EVs. IVs also play an important role but let us not stray off the topic.

**USE pokemondb.net for all help regarding Pokémon**

How to reset a Pokemon's EV
Screenshot 2021-09-16 132315sss.png
We usually reset a pokemon's EVs because when we have misdone it's EVs or when we are making its random EVs perfect or in a way we like. So this is step by step on how to reset your pokemon EVs.

To go to the section I posted in picture 1, Look into how to view your EVs section in previous subdivisions where I have showed through the help of pictures.

In the first picture as you can see I am unsatisfied with my Defense EVs so I am going to reset it by clicking the 'Reset' button I marked in picture 1.
You will get a confirmation prompt asking confirmation to reset the evs of a particular part. You need 10,000$ in-game cash to reset 1 EV. Once you click 'Continue' , your money is taken and particular EVs are successfully reset. You still will be able to see the EV on the EV section but will be shown 0/255( technically its 252 but from the extra 6 points 3 points are borrowed by 2 parts you ultimately EV train). Once you close and open the EV section again you will successfully have resetted the EVs and can continue with your new EVs.

Let's see the difference between Randomly EV trained and Perfectly EV trained Pokémon

Screenshot 2021-09-23 202043.png

As you guys can see the EVs are randomly done for this Pokémon at level 50 and the stats are above 100 which is pretty good. If you guys see Haxorus on pokemondb.net, you can notice that the bars are highest for Atk and Spd. But, you will see in the next Perfect Haxorus why the stats are not properly utilized and kind of spoiled by random EVs.

Screenshot 2021-09-23 202150.png

This Haxorus is the example of a superbly trained Haxorus. The stats of this Haxorus's Atk can be seen and a significant change can be noticed from 165 to 198 and this is because of the EV on the individual slot on this Haxorus. A question might be raised, "There is no significant change between Haxorus 1 and 2 in speed why is that." It's because as you can see the speed is above 230 and the maximum EV on an individual slot is 252 so both numbers are close in 1 and 2 so that's why we can't see a significant change. Ultimately, the EVs will significantly boost an initial stat of a Pokémon only if it is done properly. The same applies to level 100 too.

How can you give EVs to a Pokemon?
You can give a Pokemon EV by killing wild pokemon in-game. Killing different breeds of Pokemons gives you different EVs, once you know what pokemon gives what EVs which is given in the spreadsheet below, you can easily kill the specific breed of Pokemon and increase your Pokemons EVs.

How many EVs can we give to a Pokémon?
We can give Pokémon a total of 510 EVs. Individual slots like Attack, Speed, Sp. Def, Spack, Spd, and HP can hold a maximum of 252 EVs only. We can fill a total of 2 slots with 252 EVs and 1 slot with 6 EVs to give a sum of 510.

How can you stop a pokemon from gaining EVs?
Currently you CANNOT stop a pokemon from gaining EVs. However you can ask there are 2 types of stones called Neverstone and Everstone. Those are for different purposes where Neverstone prevents a pokemon from gaining any experience and everstone prevents your pokemon from evolving. As long as you keep fainting pokemon in wild, you will keep gaining EVs.

Does every pokemon you kill give you EV?
Every pokemon you kill gives you EV. Different pokemon you kill gives different EVs, However, the same pokemon breed will give you same EVs. For example, killing a swinub will give you Atk EV and it gives 1 Atk EV point but killing a snorunt will give you 1 HP EV point. Most pokemons give 1 EV point per pokemon after fainting them but a few alone gives 2 points and very handful of pokemon gives 2 or more points like regice which gives 3 sp.def points.

How to train a pokemon to its Right EVs
There isn't a right way or wrong way to train a pokemon's EVs. You can train it any way you want and all ways are allowed.

If you are still perplexed on what EVs to train and if you want me to tell how I do, then here it is:
I usually do my EVs by taking a look at pokemondb.net for Stat information on the strengths and weaknesses of a pokemon.

For example,
Screenshot 2021-09-23 205846.png
As you can see in the picture above, I personally and few other people EV train by seeing strength of the bars for beginners. As you can see in the stats, the Sp.Atk and Speed is the highest of all, so I trained in Spd and Spack. Its basically like training on 2 categories are the highest. This is how I EV train as simple as that but when you see more categories equal and confused on whether to train Atk or Spack you can always check the best moves for the pokemon and check its type( Physical or Special) and train your pokemon accordingly for its final stage. As you advance in game you'll be able to spot more and more easily and you'll get more pro.

STAT Calculations
Stat is any of certain numerical values pertaining to each Pokémon. The Pokémon's stats are used in battles. People compare stats for battles or any tournaments against their opponent pokemon to check their strengths of their stats. IVs also strongly take part because in rise if IVs are high generally the stats also will be high but the job for EV is to boost the general stats and provide a enhanced battling strength for a pokemon. It also helps to cancel or strike out a weakness of a pokemon. For example a pokemons speed stat is so low in spite of its IVs in base stats, the person can EV train it in speed if he's good with its other stats to cancel out his weakness of speed and make it a decent speedy pokemon and take out other weak pokemons.

If you are already one who has decent knowledge about Stat calculation and just doesn't know on how to do it here's the website for instant result and the formula for you to work out:

Heres the link for the Stat calculator: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php

The formula:

Screenshot 2021-09-23 215149.png

For the people who doesn't know how to do:
Purpose of this is to calculate the overall individual stat for a pokemon at any level. The formula is basically the base stat x2 ev/4 add both, add IV multiply total by 100,then divide by level add level + 10 for hp, add 5 for other 5 stats. Base stat is the total stat of a pokemon.

Take a look onto this spreadsheet, its very useful!

Link for the spreadsheet (Made by our loveable Groot and Team)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t5RDg9_fbYTkWpdfQRt_MWcfHWPExOwJjACaED9emYM/edit?usp=sharing

Note: The spreadsheet above keeps updating.

I hope I have added all the necessary details that are essential for EV training and cleared all your doubts. If any more doubts you can let me know in this thread so I will edit this guide to make it more helpful for future risians!

--CREDITS--
Mike

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021
Very informative, way better than KageYoshi's Guide just as a guide should be, but the line that says "Base stat is the total stat of a pokemon." might be a bit confusing for some people. And is it standard in Rise to just train the EVs of whatever the two highest base stats for the species are?

glitch2005

🦦
Staff member
Jan 30, 2020
Very informative, way better than KageYoshi's Guide just as a guide should be, but the line that says "Base stat is the total stat of a pokemon." might be a bit confusing for some people. And is it standard in Rise to just train the EVs of whatever the two highest base stats for the species are?
It is not standard but most of them train it in that way so it has become standard. Not to the two highest base stats of a species, people in rise usually prefer hp, atk, spack, speed and mostly only a very handful of people train it in defense or sp.def even if spdef stats are higher. As far as I know, this is what happens. I am happy to hear that it is informative thanks.

Mar 15, 2021
I didn't think so but this part sort of suggests that's the way everyone does it all the time and how it should be done. Maybe I'm misinterpreting:

How to train a pokemon to its Right EVs
There isn't a right way or wrong way to train a pokemon's EVs. You can train it any way you want and all ways are allowed.

If you are still perplexed on what EVs to train and if you want me to tell how I do, then here it is:
I usually do my EVs by taking a look at pokemondb.site for Stat information on the strengths and weaknesses of a pokemon.

For example,

As you can see in the picture above, I personally and few other people EV train by seeing strength of the bars for beginners. As you can see in the stats, the Sp.Atk and Speed is the highest of all, so I trained in Spd and Spack. Its basically like training on 2 categories are the highest. This is how I EV train as simple as that but when you see more categories equal and confused on whether to train Atk or Spack you can always check the best moves for the pokemon and check its type( Physical or Special) and train your pokemon accordingly for its final stage. As you advance in game you'll be able to spot more and more easily and you'll get more pro.
As you can see in the stats, the Sp.Atk and Speed is the highest of all, so I trained in Spd and Spack. Its basically like training on 2 categories are the highest.
Oh, also this:
I usually do my EVs by taking a look at pokemondb.site
pokemondb.net :geek:

glitch2005

🦦
Staff member
Jan 30, 2020
I didn't think so but this part sort of suggests that's the way everyone does it all the time and how it should be done. Maybe I'm misinterpreting:

Oh, also this:

pokemondb.net:geek:

I have given it right, you're confusing with how others do I guess because training in the 2 highest categories is what suggested.

I mentioned "How to train a pokemon to its Right EVs :There isn't a right way or wrong way to train a pokemon's EVs. You can train it any way you want and all ways are allowed. "

You can however train in any way you want. Actually 2 highest base stats of a species is what I recommend but people in rise usually don't prefer doing def and sp.def except a handful of people. I said I have trained darkrai spack and spd is the highest base stats and as its not def and sp.def. I just replied to your previous question as for some reason people in rise are more inclined towards hp, atk, spack, spd EVs more than def and sp.def. Normally, I would highly suggest to only train in 2 highest EVs so that's why I posted it that way. As far as I know, people train in spd and hp to hit faster or tank more hits. Defense and sp.defense works, I don't deny it and they work by reducing the damage done by physical or special moves. You can follow the guide for playing, but almost everyone mostly ignores def and sp.def you'll get suggestions based on other EVs without def and sp.def only most of the time. I hope this cleared your doubts. You can ask more and point out if I had made any mistakes.

Thanks, I have corrected the pokemondb.net link.

glitch2005

🦦
Staff member
Jan 30, 2020
In Level 50 pvp does the remaining 6 Ev stats(for any Ev) effect the total stats:unsure:?
The 6 doesn't really give you a big difference, its often put into the last stat that the player want it to be in to make it look organized but the 6 doesn't show any difference than the rest

glitch2005

🦦
Staff member
Jan 30, 2020
To fully level up and EV train your pokemon depends on your personal speed and spending of time in the game. It greatly depends on where you level up and EV train.

If you train at Safari or the highest exp tile then you can surprisingly finish much quicker than training at a town as further you go from the town, the level of pokemons spawning in wild increases. In this map regen, 20,-7 is a good place and cryogonal tiles as well [ You will have to explore cryogonal tiles].

EV training also depends on the place you train for example, grinding attack evs in a full swinub tiles will be finished much quicker than grinding on totodile that spawns rarely in few tiles. The rarity also plays a role here as I have told above.

Your speed also matters, going afk and staying put in a place in EV spot also will take time, instead run around actively to clear the whole tile fainting the spawns as soon as they spawn to gain more EVs at a much faster pace.

Top Bottom